General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil Pan Gasket ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Pan Gasket ??

so i noticed a small quarter size spot of oil, under the car,

accumulates over about a weeks time. put the car up on ramps this morning and noticed slight seepage ( if you can even call it that ) around the pan and bolt area.
cleaned it as good as i could with an almost empty can of brake cleaner and a shop towel,
i plan on changing the oil saturday so we'll see if there's any new buildup,

its a 1998 z/28 with just over 60K miles,

what do you guys think ??
just seems like a major biotch to do a gasket, would that subframe and rack have to be removed in order to access it ??
looks like it
Old 03-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Teching In

I've got the same problem.

My '02 Formula leaks across the oil pan bolt heads. I've got little drops on ~50% of the bolt heads at any given time. The motor's only got 13k on it It annoys the **** out of me. I assume it is due to the deep skirt block and the resulting shallow pan.
Anyone agree?

I wonder if a gasket alone will solve the problem. I'd be pissed if I went to the trouble of pulling the subframe only to have it start leaking again. Unless someone has a bulletproof fix, I'm tempted just to just live with it and keep driving it like it's stolen.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you drop the subframe you can get the pan off.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tomf
I've got the same problem.

My '02 Formula leaks across the oil pan bolt heads. I've got little drops on ~50% of the bolt heads at any given time. The motor's only got 13k on it It annoys the **** out of me. I assume it is due to the deep skirt block and the resulting shallow pan.
Anyone agree?

I wonder if a gasket alone will solve the problem. I'd be pissed if I went to the trouble of pulling the subframe only to have it start leaking again. Unless someone has a bulletproof fix, I'm tempted just to just live with it and keep driving it like it's stolen.
It's from the car sitting in your garage..........my 2002 is doing the same. I have 36K Km (22K miles) on my car.......I hardly drove it last year causing the gaskets to contract hence leaking starts. My extended warranty will take care of my leaks when my car comes out of it's winter sleep. My rearend cover gasket is leaking slightly as well. Thes cars need to be driven. If you started driving more regularily you might find the "sweating" would stop.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Teching In

My experience is consistent with your theory. During wintertime when I don't drive the car, I notice more leakage than I do in the hot summer when it's being driven. Interesting.

Sounds like you would not recommend doing anything about it if I continue to store it every winter, correct?