General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

SES Code.... Need some help please....

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SES Code.... Need some help please....

Hi Guys,

I am new here, so I apologize if this is not the appropriate place for this.

Here is my problem: (1997 Pontiac Trans Am WS-6 with 85,000 miles)

Car was running a bit rough and backfiring when I let off of the gas, and check engine light came on. Felt like the car did not have much power at all, and was shuttering. I pulled over and shut the car off and waited about 5 minutes, and when I restarted it, the check engine light was still on. I took the car home and parked it. The next day I disconnected the battery and waited about 10 minutes, and started the car and the light was off. The car seemed to not be running rough, but if I hit the gas and went over 3000 rpms while parked, the car still backfires.

Today, I took it to the Pontiac dealership to get the codes checked, and it is popping out code P1361. They said it was a code from 6 months ago, and nothing else was popping up in the codes. That was the only one from the past(no others have ever been in the car's history, according to the dealer), and the other day's SES incident is not showing anything in today's code reading....

Can someone please give some educated advice as to what I should consider doing? I drove the car this afternoon and it seems to run fairly well.

Is this an ignition module issue? This is where I am leaning towards. Sorry if this is a silly issue to post about, but I am looking for some knowledge from someone who is more familiar than I and have worked on more of these than myself. I come from the Stealth and 3000GT platform, so the fbody is still a bit new to me, but with time and some help from fellow members, I hope to learn alot more about these cars.

Thank you in advance, for any help.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

The book my code reader came with says that P1361 is a Ford code for Ignition coil B secondary circuit. The generic code P0361 is also a Ignition coil Primary/secondary cucuit malfunction. General Motors P1361 says IC circuit not toggling or Low voltage (distributor Ignition). So I'd say you have a coil problem. I had a plug wire short out and that blew a coil. Look into that. Hope that helps.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

Opti-spark distributorless ignition. Which are notorious for being junk. I did a quick search and came up with some threads to look through... Opti-spark Hopefully reading through some of them will help you solve your problem without having to go through the dealer.

Last edited by Roadhouse; 03-20-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

The optispark usually goes bad since its located under the waterpump any single water spot can go inside and give u problems. Also check the opt vent hoses if one of them is unplug the opti can suck in moisture and ur car can missfire. Theres a couple of things that can make ur car missfire Optispark, coil module, coil itself, fuel pressure regulator and also ur injectors can make it missfire. Check the fuel pressure make sure its not leaking fuel. On my 97 camaro I had to replace my opti at least 8 times in 3 years belive me those things go bad real soon!! If its not giving you a code its might be that ur opti is staring to fail. Make sure none of ur wires are burn if u got headers and if u recently change ur spark plugs make sure u didnt break one and the wires are properly installed. Check ur vacum leaks also 96-97 LT1's came out with defetive EGR Valves u might wanna check that out too.. When it comes to LT1's missfiring they are a pain in the *** but its usually the opti or something small. hopfully u get ur car running good again!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ghardester
The book my code reader came with says that P1361 is a Ford code for Ignition coil B secondary circuit. The generic code P0361 is also a Ignition coil Primary/secondary cucuit malfunction. General Motors P1361 says IC circuit not toggling or Low voltage (distributor Ignition). So I'd say you have a coil problem. I had a plug wire short out and that blew a coil. Look into that. Hope that helps.
sounds like a miss to me.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

The car does not have a miss, only when the SES came on the other day did it cut out or act like it was sputtering. The car runs fine as of now, only crappy that one day when the flare up occured. A buddy of mine who is an ASE mechanic of 25 years(specializing in GM cars) said tonight it appears to be the igntion module, since it had all the signs of this problem, in correlation with the code it set off. I am going to replace the ignition module tommorow.

There is no mods, no fuel leaks, no vacuum leaks, all wiring checked out with no problems, and plug wires are fine. We have been over it with a fine tooth comb this evening. Hope replacing the module will prevent the problem from returning...

Thanks for your thoughts/opinions, guys.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Teching In

What ended uo being the problem, I have the same code with the same backfire issues?

Quick Reply: SES Code.... Need some help please....