General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I have stalling, bucking !!! HELP!

Old 03-21-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile I have stalling, bucking !!! HELP!

Today I got in to my car ready to go to work and I turned on my car and like after 1 minute of running, It started like bucking or stalling, Like if my car was going to turn off. The Service Engine light turned on and it started flashing. I had this happend to a long time ago, Like 4 months ago, and I had it read at Pep Boys to see what the code was and it said it was my Catalytic Converters. The weird thing is that they are completely fine.

Before this I had the setup on my sig, Long tubes and a catted y and I took it off to get my car checked by the California state referee and all my stock parts went on my car. Back then I was in need of two O2 sensors since I threw mine away, so I got a really used pair that a friend had laying around in his back yard, and he and I think they might be bad but I thought, what the heck, its going to be for like one day. After I had the inspection I decided to sell my car and look for a Z06 so I left the car stock, with the old trashed O2 sensors. It didnt give me codes and I thought they were fine.

So, I am thinking the first time it gave me the code and the code said cats, it might have been because of faulty O2 sensors. I dont know if Im right but thats my theory.

What do you guys think ?? What could be wrong with my car ????

Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 03-22-2007, 06:24 AM
TECH Regular

the "bad cats" code comes from O2 sensor readings. I would get it scanned again, though. It could be a new problem. Go to autozone or advance. They'll do it for free. I've ALWAYS had BAD LUCK with pep boys service.
Your condition sounds like clogged cats, or bad O2s. But it could be a lot of other different things like low clogged fuel filter, failing fuel pump, bad fuel mixture, bad wire(s), etc. What year is your car?

... oh yeah... I see it in your sig... 2002
Old 03-22-2007, 07:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

The flashing SES means you are misfiring. Start by checking plugs/wires. It could be your cats too.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Im just going to get two Bosch 13111 sensors for the front and get a set of plugs and wires to be safe.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if youve got backfires, your probably running rich, when in turn will set off the cat codes and then burn out your o2's....bada bing
Old 03-28-2007, 07:12 AM
Teching In

bucking is a sign of it running rich and will cause it to stall i just had the same problem with my c5 does it do fine untell the car warm up and the 02 come in to affect change the 02 and i bet it will be fixed if not let me know
Old 03-28-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Well today I got two 13111 Bosch sensors and I will put them on later. We'll see if that helps!

Search this Thread