General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Voltage Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltage Issue

A few weeks ago I was having a voltage problem so I went to Autozone and bought a new alternator. Everything seemed fine until the other night when my volt meter dropped quick on me on the freeway and my check gauges light came on. I was able to get it to my buddies house where we checked the voltage and the alternator had died again! Well, I got the car back home swapped out the alternator again yesterday. Today I went to drive the car around to make sure that everything was ok. I let her idle and warm up for about fifteen minutes with no problems and the volt meter reading good. I went for a short drive and after I went about 3/4 throttle for the first time my volt meter took another dive into the red, with my check gauges light coming on. I killed another alternator, and I have no idea how I'm doing this.

I have checked the red wire on top the alternator...it seems ok, and I have checked the ground on the backside of the alternator and the main ground to the engine. I am at a loss of what to do now. Any ideas...I have got to find out why my car keeps killing alternators.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:35 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what I did... I went through 3 Oreilys alternators in 2 months then told them to give my money back and went to the dealership and bought one. Its lasted 2 years now.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

I have heard horror stories about these alternators from Autozone, Oreilly's, etc. but I didn't listen. NEVER thought it could be this bad. I guess my next step is to rip that piece out get my $$$ back and head up to the dealership.

Any other thoughts???
Old 03-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

nope sounds like the same thing that happend to be with my T/A a while back.

alternator died on me pulled it over put a voltmeter and it was extremely low. Bought a autozone part slapped it on and it died about a week later. Took it back got another one and it died about 2 weeks later. Finaly bought the bullet and got a dealer part and it lasted for about a year and half then i sold the car.

Dealer Part FTW.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

Alright, well I think I've learned my lesson...

Autozone/O'reilly's alternators =

I threw a Delco alternator in the car from Chevy and have had no problems yet. Keeping my fingers crossed, but I think the problem is gone.

MEMO to everyone out there. Don't waste your time with those crappy knock off alternators. Get one from GM and be done.