General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help! Can't get the starter out.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 02:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help! Can't get the starter out.

How the hell does this thing come out? In case you didn't guess I'm pretty much a newbie. I'm replacing the positive battery cable and I got everything done except the positive wire on top of the starter. I have the 2 bolts out and I can pull it forward a couple inches but after that there's tranny lines, wires, sensors, and everthing else in the way. Really i just need to at least turn it enough so I can get the positive wire off so I can replace the battery cable but I can't even do that.

Do I need to remove the oxygen sensor? I don't have that tool but I'll get one if that's the only way I can get it done.

Also, there's a plug on the oil pan and I'm not sure how that thing comes out and I didn't want to screw it up. I messed with it a little bit but couldn't get it to come out.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 02 sensors dont have any special tool, as for the thing on the oil pan jsut think of it as a massive bolt
Old 03-24-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got it out. Once I turned that bolt on the oil pan I could then see how to get the plug off. Once I got the plug out of the way I was able to angle it enough to where I could get the cable off. That's messed up that you have to practically drop the starter like that just to change out the battery cable.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well there is o2 sensor sockets but you could use a wrench