General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

*SENSOR* Help!!! (TP)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *SENSOR* Help!!! (TP)

I am confused! I scanned my car and the code was P1120, Throttle Pos Sens1 Circ- Throttle Position Sensor right? Well, the store doesn't have a TPS for a 00 Firebird. I don't get it, which doesn't take much, but now what? Last few days my car runs at reduced engine power throwing ses lights and all after first start up. Once it's warm and you shut it down for a couple mins it runs fine. I've read all about the throttle position sensor and it sounds great, but the stores show no record of my car having one! Please help,
Old 04-07-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

See if they have one for a Camaro of the same year?

Or just get one online. Looks like Napa has them. I think Autozone does online orders now as well.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Teching In

you're always helping me, Thanks! I checked O'Reillys and AutoZone before I posted and I just looked at Napa...maybe I am blind, but I am finding no matching part. I have a 2000 Firebird 3.8, K engine code. I guess that's what you had? Since I really need the part would you see if you can find a part number, I just don't find it under Throttle Position Sensor...does it have a different name? Also, when I just search for a tps...it says it's not specific for my car. Maybe it doesn't have to be? I don't know.

O'reillys told me that their computers do not show one for a camaro either. Only me!
Old 04-07-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Didn't realize it was a v6, I can't find one for a v6 firebird or camaro either. I did see one for a 98 on ebay
Old 04-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Well, I'm at least glad that I'm not the only one confused! I got a V6 to save gas, since I just use it for transporting the kiddo's and work....anyhow, it threw a trouble code P1120 and also said pending P1221. i thought i should fix the trouble code 1st (which is the TPS) and see if the other code is still pending. Hopefully, someone will know what's happening...

Anyone have any experience with their REDUCED ENGINE POWER light coming on and not being able to drive more than 20, unless going down hill?
Old 04-07-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I think on the later 3.8s the TPS sensor was intergrated into the throttlebody, so you will have to replace the TB as a whole unit. Is it a drive by wire throttle with no cable?

Kinda pricey, you may want to check ebay or salvage yards.

Last edited by GMRL; 04-07-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Teching In

Over the weekend I looked in a book that said 2000 models and later there is something at the trottle body, but that the sensor was at the pedal? No cable. I haven't found it yet, you can't really see up in there either. I'm hoping you're wrong, no offense...WHY would they only make 00-02 spend $600+ on a throttle body for a sensor, when everybody else spends 30$'s!?!

Last edited by carwreck; 04-09-2007 at 06:16 PM.