General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need Answers plz

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 03:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Answers plz

Something in my headlight is stripped, when I put them down it makes a loud buzzing sound. But my ? is, when I lock or unlock my car my headlights go up them down. Would anyone know why this would happen?
Old 04-25-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by t/a for life
Something in my headlight is stripped, when I put them down it makes a loud buzzing sound. But my ? is, when I lock or unlock my car my headlights go up them down. Would anyone know why this would happen?
The headlight motor has plastic gears, they get stripped after awhile, yet another piece of crap quality part from GM. It will happen with your keyless entry or with use of an aftermarket alarm system. And one bad gear will cause both lights to pop up and down and grind.

You can flip the gears so they use the other half and that should last quite some time, maybe as long or longer than they did the first time around. This takes about 10 minutes to fix and its free.

Or buy a new motor.

Or you can buy a new motor and replace the plastic gear(s) with brass ones that'll last forever.

Go here for the instructions on the "Free fix", very easy to do. And the metal gears you can buy with instructions how to install them. I did the free fix on one side like 3 years ago and its still fine. Scroll way down the page for the "free fix".
http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headl....htm#FreeGuide

Last edited by Quickin; 04-25-2007 at 05:14 PM.