General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cruise control quit

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control quit

My cruise control quit working on my 99 Formula. I was using it the other day and now it just wont seem to set. Its a 6 speed car with 80k on it and it also has a low coolant light on cause the sensor seem to **** the bed(common GM problem) Other than that the car is bone stock right now except a short throw shifter and I have no SES light and cant find any binding in the throttle linkage. Could the switch on the column be bad or am I looking at something worse?

I dont know if it matters but my car does not have traction control.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

My car is a six speed. When I bought the car the cruise would not work. A switch under the dash by the clutch pedal arm was broke. It is for safety. When the clutch is pushed in the cruise control is stopped.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the solenoid on the passanger side of the car....its a black little box with gears in it...
Old 04-30-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by staringback05
check the solenoid on the passanger side of the car....its a black little box with gears in it...
Is this the same with an LT1 car also?
Old 04-30-2007, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99zconv
My car is a six speed. When I bought the car the cruise would not work. A switch under the dash by the clutch pedal arm was broke. It is for safety. When the clutch is pushed in the cruise control is stopped.
I had the same problem... pull off the access panel under your dash and look into the wiring mess above your pedals. There are switches above your brake and clutch pedals (if manual). One switch completes the circuit to your brake lights when the brake pedal is pushed. There is another switch above the brake pedal as well as one above the clutch that disengage cruise if either pedal is pushed. In my case, one of the $2 plastic clips broke allowing the switch to come loose from my brake pedal... thus telling the cruise circuit my brakes were always on... and preventing me from using cruise at all.

I'd bet the farm this is your problem as well.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys. Youre alot of help. I just read similar prooblems in another tread and I hope this foolish pedal switch is the problem and it can get solved quickly. wish me luck