General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Battery tie down

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 06:09 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Angry Battery tie down

I picked up a 98 TA a few months ago so I'm new to these cars. I was wondering if anybody could tell me how the battery is supposed to tie down. Mine is loose. The stud that I suspect should connect to the tie down piece(that I'm missing) and threads through the coolant reservoir only sits flush with the reservoir. Therefore it seems like it would be rather difficult to secure anything to it. I felt underneath and it appears that stud is pretty long and has at least 50% on the other side. Is it possible to thread the stud up through for additional length? Or is it a broken bolt and not a stud at all?

Any tips/pics on how it should hold down would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2007, 07:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the factory hold down and the damn battery is still loose?? Seems that the design was a little off imo. I would not worry to much about it. I have done plenty of 140+ mph runs with no issues.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 00 Z28 a bolt holds the battery in. It's a long bolt, I'm guessing your's is broken off. Try and see if you can back the broken bolt out, or maybe take a ***** punch and back it out that way. The piece you're missing the bolt goes through it and when you tighten bolt down it wedges onto the bottom of the battery. Good luck.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahhhhh ok........

I guess somebody broke the bolt off then. I'll try and take some vice grips and remove the broken bolt and see if I can get a new one from the dealer along with whatever "hold down" piece goes along with it.

Thanks