General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Pulley Squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulley Squeaking

Today it rained immensely and i HAD to drive home, and i hit a few un-recognizable water places, the whole time when i was driving i kept my foot minimally on the accelerator as to not get my engine flooded because i had my cutout unbolted.. and i got home finally.. all of it cleared up and i took it for a spin, one of my pulleys is squeaking really bad, and my horn is noticeably weaker/higher pitched... how can i get my horn back to normal, and if im going to just replace my pulley with a smaller pulley for just an upgrade while im replacing it (please advise if it's not a good idea) then what pulley is generally recommended for street/partial drag.. and if anyone knows anything about how to get my horn back to normal, much appreciation... thanks guys

on a side note, could i have fucked anything up on my undercarriage that i might not notice until later?
Old 05-02-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Let it dry alot longer, the horn should come back. What do you mean by change to a smaller pulley to fix the squeaking? It can be any one of them that's squeaking and they don't make different size pulleys for all but the crank pulley as far as I know.

If you hit some water I'd let it dry before doing anything.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by PeenutBooterJ
on a side note, could i have fucked anything up on my undercarriage that i might not notice until later?
Don't think so.

And your cut-out being unbolted doesn't matter, water can't go up into the engine via the exhaust as long as your engine is running, even if the cut-out is completely under water.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

lol what he said
Old 05-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Teching In

alright cool, i'm still a newbie to all this ****, and about the pulley, i let it dry for a couple of hours.. and it squeaked worse, i checked bolts just to make sure nothing was cracked.. and didnt see anything.. but by making the pulley smaller dont you get more HP
Old 05-02-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by PeenutBooterJ
alright cool, i'm still a newbie to all this ****, and about the pulley, i let it dry for a couple of hours.. and it squeaked worse, i checked bolts just to make sure nothing was cracked.. and didnt see anything.. but by making the pulley smaller dont you get more HP
The whole crank pulley thing is pretty much no biggie really, you won't get much out of it, maybe 2 hp. Not worth it in my opinion for any engine. BUT, my builder did put one on mine while he was doing everything esle, I didn't even ask for it.

I've also never heard of a crank pulley being the squeaking culprit.

Squeaking is usually a misalignment of an accessory or one of the 4-5 pulleys in there being either misaligned or they have bad bearings. I think there's 3 fixed pulleys and than you have one tensioner pulley up top and one tensioner pulley for the A/C belt down below.

I think when the belt is spinning and its warm, then gets wet alot, it kind of gets grimey and nasty. Dirty water and rubber leaves grime behind and now its all over the whole pulley system. Like if you go out and wipe your finger across it, will it get all nasty black on your finger? A new dry belt won't do that at all, it'll be clean. Let it go for a few days and see if all the crap gets burned off/away.

Every time I clean my engine bay it squeaks for at least one day. It always goes away.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:32 PM
Teching In

alright thanks for all the input