General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Warped wheel?

Old 05-31-2007, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Warped wheel?

Ok, theres a long story here, but I'll give the short version. I've been having problems with vibration in the car for a very long time. I've done everything from rebalancing wheels 4 times, 2 alignments, new tires, wheel bearings, flipped driveshaft 180', replaced brakes, I even got some adjustable lower control arms to get my thrust angle perfect then alignment again, all with no luck.

Anyway, a while back, before all the vibration problems, I painted my calipers. When I did, I didn't have the torque turned up on the air ratchet, and didn't totally tighten one of the bolts that holds the bracket that the rear passenger caliper sits on. I was crusing down the road and it came off, which made the caliper drag on the inside of the rim. Sounded like I blew a tire as it was scraping the inside of the rim. So, I replaced the caliper and the bolt, etc, and thats when the vibration seemed to start, but it didn't seem all to bad at the begining.

So, my question is, do you think I warped my rim? They are 01 aluminum WS6 speedlines... and I've just recently noticed that the wheel weights are all relatively small on the other wheels, except the wheel weight on this particular rim is about twice the size of the others. Is there any way to get this checked?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Bump for some help!
Old 06-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

doesn't seem possible that ur calip coming off would bend your rimp....where do you notice the vibration the most?....driving on the highway...in the front of the car, does the steering wheel vibrate real bad....does it happen when u brake? rotors?
Old 06-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Its wierd, because the vibration sometimes is noticable at 30, but somtimes you dont notice it till 45-50. It seems to be coming from the rear of the car. The steering wheel has some vibration, but it seems pretty standard for the car. It does not increase on braking and I just replaced all the brakes anyway, rotors and pads, front and back. I am going to try replacing all the bearings in the rear end, I just bought the rebuild kit anyway, so that may help. I was just wondering if anyone thought it might be the wheel itself. I'm really hoping its not!
Old 06-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

if you replaced the wheels then i doubt it....you can have them balanced....take the tired off and roll it see if theres any obvious bends or something
Old 06-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Teching In

No, the wheels were not replaced, their still factory, and I dont really think the wheel was bent or anything, I just wonder if the heat from the friction of the caliper rubbing against the rim at 75+mph for a small period of time could have warped them....

Search this Thread