General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issues

I'm having an intermediate problem that I can't track down. The car at times won't start, like a dead battery then when I cycle the ignition and hold my foot on the gas it starts then once it revs back down towards idle it will pass where it normally idles and die. Once I get it started the first time all the lights stay on for 15 sec or so then they all shut off. If I start it up and keep it at about 1k for 5 min or so or just go drive it around for awhile it's fine. It doesn't do this all the time, it will do it once every two to three weeks, then it will do it two or three times that day then it won't do it again for another two or three weeks. Also every time it does this it resets my CEL that keeps coming on due to no AIR tube. It doesn't reset anything else, except for the time every once in awhile, but it doesn't do that every time. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this before I take it to the dealer? The car at one point had a big stereo in it before I got it and still had all the wiring including the power wire with a fuse in it, I've since removed all that crap. Theres absolutly no corrosion on the battery terminals and it has a brand new battery in it.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

anyone?
Old 06-05-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

My car wont start sometimes, just because I have a UD pulley and my alt just puts out enough to keep the car running and barely any more, and sometime I turn the key and hold it and the starter goes really really slow, but if i hold it long enough it will eventually speed up. My radar detector gives me voltage, and its at 11 sometimes so I know thats it. Id monitor the voltage through the cig lighter and see if its any dif when the problem occurs