Old 06-15-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard to replace fuel pump?

How hard is it, how long does it take and what special tools are needed? TIA
Old 06-15-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't want to cut a hole in your car you will have to loosen the exhuast, panhard, frame brace, gas tank straps [hopefully empty], and pull off your heat shield.

Avoids cutting big holes in your car!
Old 06-16-2007, 03:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just as stated it depends on wether u want to cut your car or not....but its not that big of awhole and it cuts alot of time
Old 06-16-2007, 05:49 AM
TECH Resident

There are many threads on changing a fuel pump. Everyone seems to have a different scale to measure the difficulty but to help with that you can call a few shops to see what they want for the labor. I found the replacement cost to be based on 5 hours.

I did not change my fuel pump but did drop my tank for wiring. It was difficult removing the exhaust and the dirtiest (as in filthiest) job I have ever done on a car in 37 years. Still, I would do it again rather than cut a floor pan access hole. The car was already in the air but it took me all of 5 hours to drop the tank and put it all back together correctly. I'm sure there are people here who have replaced their fuel pump in 45 minutes but I'm slow and deliberate. As for special tools, depending on what other issues arise, you will be using the regular stuff unless you want to dremel or snip the access hole through your floor pan.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Its really an easy job. You will need a quick release tool and just you standard wrenches. 10,12,13,15mm if I remember right. The exhaust has one clamp and then slides out of the hangers. You cant remove it completely but just get it out of the way. You have to remove the bulk connector and 3 screws where the filler tube is. 2 bolts hold the strap in and then the tank is down. Use the quick release tool to take the hoses off (most come off by just squeezing) and your done.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

It took maybe 30 mins to drop the tank, 30 mins to swap and run the wires for the new Racetronixx, and 40 mins to put the tank back in. Very easy job, only have to remove the "frame brace" I think it's called, filler neck, a few wires and the catback. The only reason it took so long was because the previous owner welded the I-pipe on the exhaust and I had to maneuver around the pipe going into the catback.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The filler neck is only one bolt thought, right? I can't remember.

Overall, The job wasn't horrible. Just give yourself time.

What makes me mad is alot of cars already have access panels directly abouve their fuel pumps for this reason. hehe