General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 08:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alternator

I am going to have the alternator on my car rebuilt this week and I need to get it off. I haven't done one on an LS1 before so I just want to know what is the easiest way and will I need anything besides simple wrenches. I tried a search and it isn't working for me. I just don't want to get started and not have something I may need. Anything I should be careful of?

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gear wrenches help but aren't really needed. Just make sure you disconnect your battery before you do it. I blew a hole in my low pressure power steering line because I thought I had disconnected the ground fully. Patience in getting it out but you shouldn't have a problem getting it out from underneath.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

The most helpful thing will be a lift! Just take your time and you should have no problem. I just changed mine 2 weeks ago.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:37 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Flawless02SS
The most helpful thing will be a lift! Just take your time and you should have no problem. I just changed mine 2 weeks ago.
Wish I had a lift!! I am going to have to do it with jackstands. I hope I can get my car up on them. It is lowered plus I have the factory GFX on it. I put a rhino ramp infront of the tire and the GFX hit right away. Hopefully 2x4's will work!