General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

BCM issues after washing engine compartment.....security light on

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 08:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BCM issues after washing engine compartment.....security light on

I decided to wash the engine compartment of my car and when I started it back up my security light on my dash was lit up solid. I just rinsed it down with soapy water and rinsed it off, then I used a leaf blower and dried it off. I metered my key and that checks out fine so my key is good and I also metered the VATS connector under the lower dash panel and that checked out fine as well.

I scanned the BCM and here is what I was getting and in the order I got them:

12 (normal)
25 (security indicator status)
31 (courtesy lamp feed shorted to ground)
35 (history of 25)
55 (normal)
26 (no idea, manual doesn't say....?)
33 (RAP feed shorted to ground)

I have no idea why it gave me codes 26 and 33 out of order, but it did. I went through the codes about 5 times to make sure I was reading them right. Before I did the BCM diagnostic, I did disconnect the VATS connector under the lower dash panel and meter between the two contacts to make sure it matches what my key is, just to rule out a bad lock cylinder. I also started the car with it disconnected, so maybe that one code is related to that....?

I then went through the procedure of checking the different BCM inputs and they all checked out. I then cleared the DTCs and put the radio fuse back in and started the car.....the light is now off!!!

My question is, what did I get water in that is in the engine compartment to give me those codes? Are there wires for the BCM that run in the engine compartment? If so, about where are they so I can be careful around that area. This is the first time I used a leaf blower to dry things off and I am thinking I got to close to some connectors (assuming there are some BCM connectors in the engine compartment) and forced some water into the connectors.

thanks,
Paul
Old 06-20-2007, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

Under the PCM (passengers side aft of engine compartment) there is a grommet. Some times these cars came from the factory with this grommet not fully seated and it lets water get in on the BCM wiring. Make sure its seated all the way around. Also people usually use this fire wall/grommet access point to run after-market wires for things such as shift lights and temp gauges, etc. If this is the case make sure you use some form-a-gasket or other sealant to seal around the wire entry holes punched in the grommet to make sure water doesn't get in this way.

I had the same problem after I washed my car, put some permatex around/on the grommet and solved the problem.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

thanks, so, you had the same BCM codes thrown after washing? I have my 2ga power wire for my amps running through that grommet. I am pretty sure I siliconed it though when I did run the wire through it. I am thinking that I may have got my leaf blower too close and may have forced water through it then. I have washed my engine numerous times before and never had an issue. This is the first time I have used a leaf blower though to dry things off. I guess I will just be more careful with it in the area of the PCM from now on.