General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default electrical issues

Starting to have some electrical issues or something. Seems like it only happens after the car is started up. Doesnt happen all the time so its really hard to track it down. The stock radio will be playing (happens on both radio and cd) then it will shut off. The antenna goes down. Sometimes it stays off for a few seconds..other times its a couple of minutes. The only thing I noticed out of the ordinary is once recently I was cleaning my car and had the key turned to accessory. I heard a sound from under the hood that sounded like a buzz or a electrical short.

Another issue that has happened recently are the gas gauge is very irratic with displaying the proper fuel level. This evening I put $20 gas in the car. It took it up to alittle above 1/2 tank. After a little driving the gauge was right at 1/2 tank and I was like wondering where the gas was going. I put the car in neutral while driving and the gauge went to just below 3/4 then went down a bit. It has done this several times lately...put it in neutral and I get free gas... When I check my DTC's I have one for high voltage to the fuel gauge sensor.

I have also had a lower altenator reading then normal. The gauge reads just a hair of 13 while driving (car usually about the width of two gauge needles above 13). As I was driving tonight the gauge actually went about 2 needle lengths below 13. I will check the belt tension to see if maybe the belt is slipping. I recently had the altenator checked under load and it was fine. I will also check the battery tomorrow.

Electrical is always a beotch to figure out and Im not sure where to start with so many weird things going on. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thats alot of systems being affected. I would check your battery terminals and make sure they are clean,tight, and making a good connection. A loose battery ground can cause all kinds of crazy stuff to happen.

The radio shutting off like that is usually a direct short results. If anything that gets power from the BCM is shorted it kills the power like that then resets.

I would still check the battery before jumping to conclusions. Have you done any work to it recently?
Old 06-22-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hah, I'm right there with you. As the summer heat continues in FL my cars electrical gremlins are getting worse and worse. I no longer have radio basically