General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

1994 Firebird - power loss on warm engine.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Firebird - power loss on warm engine.

Okay thinking caps on.

Ran into a problem, let me first tell you the run down on the car.

1994 Firebird v6
-1996 LT1 v8 swap with pcm out of motor.
-Motor from 1996 Camaro SS
-MSD Ignition

Car was running great... Then I took it out last night... Had some people in the car, and the car was running great cold. So I kept driving for a while not noticing a problem, and then when the car started to warm up, and get hot, I started losing more and more power.

At high RPM's the car was starting to backfire, like a cylinder wasn't getting any spark. And as I started to head home, I just kept losing power. She was popping and spurting everywhere trying to stay running. I shut her down and waited a while on the side of the road to try and figure out what was going on.
Once she cooled down she started running good again.... But then driving the rest of the way home she started again.

Parked her, and today comes. Took her out and got her all warm, and she started doing it again....

I'm a n00bie to the lt1 so I'm not sure if anyone knows what I'm talking about. As of the moment I'm going to throw the volt meter on in a few different places to see if I can figure out what is losing power, if thats the case atleast.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

guess it's not worth the bother?

Yet again, took it out and once it warmed up, she started to lose power.... Possibly the engine is getting too hot, and not circulating coolant?
Old 06-26-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

Check your optispark. Someone else on here is having the same issue with their camaro.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blackhawk777
Check your optispark. Someone else on here is having the same issue with their camaro.

Well the front end of the block is apart....

Turned out to be the distributor and it's turning into a great deal of pain. My car is v6 to v8 swapped so there isn't much room under the hood anyways with the lt1.

Pulled radiator out, and the water pump. Pulling off the cover for the distributor was the horror. First of all.... all 4 tiny little bolts for the opti cover snapped in half.. then while pulling the distributor off, part of the mounting plate broke like the host at church....

But yea... Losing cylinders as the car warmed up... Pure opti problems.

Plan on finishing it tomorrow, then seafoaming the whole car.

Quick Reply: 1994 Firebird - power loss on warm engine.