General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

corroded fuel pipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default corroded fuel pipe

Just got my car back from an inspection and was told it nearly failed because of a corroded fuel pipe & probably wouldn't pass next time! The car is kept spotless top to bottom with only 17000+ miles how could this happen? i have pics of a cracked rubber pipe is this what they're talking about or do they mean the fuel lines that run under the car?
I won't be able to check under the car for a while as the weathers pretty bad here right now

Last edited by MasterV8; 01-31-2012 at 05:47 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok! it's not that! i only put those pics on because it's the only hose i can see in the engine bay that has a crack in it, anyway turns out the fuel lines corroded under the car, it doesn't see much rain but the guy in the service bay told me it just happens hmm! Anyway he just quoted me for new fuel lines including return feed £105 approx $200 plus £300 to fit it, another $600.
I'm gonna be doin heads & cam soon so should i just leave it till then & if so should this be quite easy to change seeing as though i'll be removing quite a bit of stuff anyway?
Old 06-27-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody?
Old 06-27-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok! i'll rephrase the question!
Where can i get new fuel lines and are they difficult to install?
The documents from the inspection state :corroded fuel pipe/s **Dangerous**
Warning:in my oppinion , the vehicle is dangerous to drive because of defects marked as such on the failure and / or advisory documents.
So i'd like to sort this out soon as, without the hefty bill!
Old 06-27-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never heard of a corroded fuel pipe before, or corroded fuel lines for that matter? The fuel lines run under the drivers side, have you gotten under there and looked yourself? Something doesn't sound right.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This is what i don't understand, tha car hardly ever sees rain & i wash it at least once a fortnight, i know there's a couple of minor rust spots on the underbody but that's about it! Plus i only drive the car about twice a week not at all if it's raining hence the low milage i'd have thought fuel lines would be kind of insulated or coated against corrosion?
I can't look under there for a few days we're having really bad weather here at the moment if i do see anything i'll get pics.
Thanks
Old 06-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have seen lots of rusted out fuel line in older cars over the years when you get a time get under thier and take look and see what its like i dont think it would that bad you can the fuel line at any parts store and change what you need