General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bad cat

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad cat

hey everyone. my 99 trans am is throwing a code p0420 which basically means that I need a new cat. figured this would happen sooner or later. I had the other side replaced when I first got the car. is this something that I can do or will I need to have a shop do it. the one that I got before I just had a welding shop weld it in for me but the drivers side looks like it actually bolts into the manifold. is there a direct replacement or can I just go get another one and have my welder wled it in place for me again? Thanks

Chris
Old 06-30-2007, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dozier13
hey everyone. my 99 trans am is throwing a code p0420 which basically means that I need a new cat. figured this would happen sooner or later. I had the other side replaced when I first got the car. is this something that I can do or will I need to have a shop do it. the one that I got before I just had a welding shop weld it in for me but the drivers side looks like it actually bolts into the manifold. is there a direct replacement or can I just go get another one and have my welder wled it in place for me again? Thanks
Chris
Welcome.

How many miles on the car? If it's a stock cat it might still be under warranty.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

I received a letter form GM stating that the converters were going to be covered past the 8 years 80k ( I think that was what the EPA mandated)

Call GM and ask if your car qualifies. Mine is an 01. FWIW my right side cat was replaced at 25k Makes you wonder what kinda of crap GM used...hmmmm
Old 07-01-2007, 02:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its just honeycomb crap inside there not really designed to last long on a perfomance car
Old 07-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Teching In

thanks for the replys...the car has 142K miles on...Im suprised that the cat lasted as long as it did...the one on the other side I had to replace 2 years ago...I cleared the code with my scanner and the SES light hasnt come back on yet... all systems are go except for the evap system, still waiting for it to go from not ready to ready.. no codes have thrown and the O2, HO2, and catalyst systems are ready to go...may have just had a code go off for some reason...I feel no power loss in the car and no foul smell...hopefully was just something dumb