General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Please help! I'm out of ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help! I'm out of ideas.

The car only starts sometimes. It turns over but wont fire up. I know it is getting plenty of gas. I had the fuel pressure checked and it reeks of gas. It takes a while but it always starts. I am afraid of getting stuck somewhere and in need of a tow truck. I just put in NGK plugs and MSD wires too. The comp is not throwing any codes either. Could it be the coil packs? The car has 62k miles on it. To me it seems as if the car is not getting spark but i am no mechanic unfortunately.
I know this post isn't very clear or descriptive but any input would be appreciated.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

What is your battery voltage before you start cranking? 12.5V or more?
Have someone crank it and see how far the voltage will drop. What is it? Less than 9V?
When the car is running, what is the voltage of the battery? It shoud be over 14V.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

I'm thinking crank position sensor... but I'm not sure if it was the crank position sensor that the injectors would still work... When you say it takes a while,... how long?... does the engine have a chance to cool off any?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:06 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Does is start about 3-5min after the failed attempt?
It the alarm LED on?

Try another key and see if the problem goes away. Also try cleaning the resistor on the key you are using. It may be the VATS system disabling the ignition. In which case, either the key's resistor is dirty/damaged or the reader in the lock cylinder is dirty/damaged.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:09 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I read your post again.
Its probably not the VATS system since the engine turns over. If I remember correctly the engine won't even turn over if it was the VATS system. Its worth a shot though to test.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:06 AM
Teching In

The car is a pain to start no matter if the engine is hot or cold. It ususally takes about 5 min to get it started. When the car runs it runs great.

It fails to start after many attempts but then it always randomly starts after many tries. I just had the had the VATS system and the lock cylinder replaced. I also tried another key and no luck there either.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:25 PM
Teching In

So i have come to the conclusion that the car starts easier when the motor is already warm. Could it be an engine temp sensor?