General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Radiator cap question?

Old 07-06-2007, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator cap question?

I know that the LS1 is a pressurized system but what purpose does the pressurized cap serve? What does it do? If you had one that say a friend ran over accidetally ran over and bent the spring inside the cap would it make your car boil over? Not run hot but make the coolant come out of the over flow next to the battery.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:40 AM
12 Second Club

http://www.meineke.com/stuff_about_c...rk_cooling.asp
pretty much a liquid under pressure takes longer for it to boil have your rad cap checked often. autozone can check it if you get someone that knows what they are doing and know they had the tool in the back.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

Well considering that mine was bent as far as the spring under the cap goes and my car did not run hot temperature wise (I just installed a new water pump and thermostat) I think the bent cap made it boil over. I bought a new one this morning so we will see it that fixes it.

waiting2bl33d - thanks for the info
Old 07-06-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Coolant system needs to be pressuerzied in order to keep the system from boiling over at a lower temp.. By using a pressureized system.. the water/coolant will have a higher boil over temp as compared to a lower or un-pressureized system.

Water boil temp is about 212 degee, for every lb of pressure it raise the boil point. A 15 lb system will have 250 degree boil point. Use of a 50/50 water / anti-freeze will raise it to 227 degree. by using a pressure cap.. we have a higher boil over point temp.

http://www.centuryperformance.com/coolingsys.asp

Search this Thread