General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Pissing me off, idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 01:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pissing me off, idle issues

My car keeps having the damn intermediate(sp?) problems and I can't track them down. Today when I left work I rolled down both windows to let all the hot air out and the passenger window rolled up no problem, but the driver side only rolled up about an inch, then I waited a min and it rolled up to about 3 in from closed, then waited some more and it went up all the way, and it did that 2 hours later then has worked normally ever since.

Then on the way home I was coasting and when my rpms are normally at ~1k they wouldn't go lower than 1.7k and would rev all the way up to 2.3k without me touching the pedal . Then I was idling in 2nd and it kept accelerating until it got to 2.3k and then dropped back down to 1.7k. Then after I shut it off and let it sit for 2~3 hours I got in it and it didn't want to idle above 600rpm and it was constintaly trying to die even with no AC. Then while I was driving through my gf's neighborhood in 2nd at around 15mph it completely died on me but I still had all my lights. Then 800ft down the road it died again and I lost everything, no lights nothing and it didn't want to crank, I turned the igintion and didn't even get a click. I turned it 2 or 3 more times and it fried back up but didn't want to idle again and it did that for the next 15 min until I got home.

This is really starting to **** me off cause it will only happen one night every 2 to 3 weeks, otherwise it acts completely normal. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-08-2007, 04:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you're trying to track down intermittent or any kind of electrical problems, a good place to start is cleaning the battery terminals well, and checking and tightening all the grounds.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DaddySS
When you're trying to track down intermittent or any kind of electrical problems, a good place to start is cleaning the battery terminals well, and checking and tightening all the grounds.

The battery terminals are spotless cause I just did that hoping that that would take car of it. And I've checked all the grounds I can find so far.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

check all the hoses for a possibly vacuum leak too. My car started to have a crazy idle and found it was a crack in the PVC hose.

as far as the window not working.... that is a classic sign of a window regulator/motor going bad. It will need to be replaced.