General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LT1 Starting issues

Old 07-12-2007, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Starting issues

So my car was off the road for a couple months while we did some repairs (waterpump/timing gear issues), and since I got it back it had been slower to start. I figured it was just a battery issue, not a big deal.

A week ago, the car wouldn't start at all and I had to get it jumped. No problem, still a battery issue, I'll just get it charged up.

The other night (still didn't get around to checking the battery) it wouldn't start again. I tried to jump it again but not even that would do it (tried different cables, and jumping off a different vehicle, both with their engines running/reving and turned off). Eventually had to bump start it, which sets off the ABS light (which later turns off and doesn't happen upon starting the car again). This whole affair also reset my OEM stereo clock/ejected my CD. Think I might have gotten an electrical short?

So if we couldn't jump start it even off of a running car, I didn't think it was still a battery issue. I had the battery checked anyways and it is absolutely perfect. So maybe it's the starter, but that checks out too.

When I tested the battery I had it charged up to full and today the car starts, but doesn't "jump" to life as it used to, and still takes 3-5 cycles of the crank before it catches, where it used to fire on the 1st or 2nd.

ALSO, for some when the ignition is turned on the car will either engage and then disengage the AC clutch, or start and immediately stop the ABS pump. It will do either one of those things, but not both, and it seems to be random as to which one.

Cliffs:
- Car won't start, needs to get jumped
- Car won't start a 2nd time a few days later, will not start from being jumped (bump start it)
- Battery is tested as OK
- Starter is tested as OK
- Either the AC clutch or ABS pump randomly engage upon ignition
- Charged the battery up to 100% and car currently starts, but does not turn over and catch as quickly as it used to
- Worried that I didn't actually "fix" anything and I'll just end up getting stranded somewhere again as the problem repeats itself

So far we are leaning towards it maybe being an ignition switch issue? Do you think a problem there could lead to the sloppy/not starting &/or the strange AC/ABS engaging?

Car is a 96 LT1, M6, bone stock.

On a side note I'm also having a weird misfire at low RPM. This happened last year and we replaced the plugs and it went away, but now it's back and doing it again (and man oh man do I not want to replace the plugs again...).

Any thoughts?
Old 07-12-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How did you test the battery? Was it load tested? See what kind of voltage you're getting across the terminals with the car running.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
How did you test the battery? Was it load tested? See what kind of voltage you're getting across the terminals with the car running.
Load tested at a dealership. I have the print out from the testing machine, and everything looks great on it. I'm not sure if it was just the fact it was a LITTLE bit low and for some reason it wasn't enough, or what.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have issues getting started, I was told that my fuel pump is on its way out. I verified that by priming the system twice before firing the motor and it works much better. Its worth a try, but it honestly doesn't sound like the problem you're having... good luck.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:15 AM
Teching In

my LT1 is doing the same thing, it died on me a while ago and was slow at starting up. Mine was partly my starter, but even after the replacement it still starts up slow and I'm wondering the same thing you are.

Search this Thread