General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

White K&N filter????

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007 | 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

Default White K&N filter????

Hey everyone. I bought my K&N when I got the car about a year or so ago and when I took my air lid off a week ago I noticed it turned white. It looks like one of the paper filters, its that white. Ive cleaned and oiled it on the recommended intervals and always made sure that it was compleatly dry before putting it back in. Has this happened to anyone else and is it still useable?
Old 07-21-2007 | 08:18 PM
Launching!

its still white after cleaning?
Old 07-21-2007 | 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pics or it didn't happen. Also, I have no idea why it would turn white. That is very strange. It was that regular maroon color first right?
Old 07-21-2007 | 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have an old old K&N on my eclipse. If it sits for a couple years it gets grey lookin. White is odd. It def still the wire like K&N right. Heard of places doin tune ups and trashin the K&N for a new filter. Now whether they trash it or sell it..... who knows
Old 07-21-2007 | 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Yep its still the K&N and yes it was the regular red color when I bought it. I dont have pics right now. Haha Im one of the few people in the world w/o a digital camera. When my gf comes over tomorrow Ill have her bring hers so I can get a few and put them online. And yes it has kept that color even after being cleaned.
Old 07-21-2007 | 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

The oil you spray on it is red. Did you respray it with oil? I know it sounds like a dumb question but it should def have color if you cleaned it and re-oiled it.
Old 07-21-2007 | 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I did, thats why I dont understand why it went white. I talked to a guy at a local autoparts store and he said that the only thing he could think of is that it sucked allt he oil off of it causing it to go white. I dont understand why it would do it this time though and none of the other times I cleaned/oiled it.

Edit: I let the filter set for over 24hrs on a paper towel and made sure it was dry before putting it back into the car so I know it wasnt still wet.

Quick Reply: White K&N filter????