General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replaced your airbags? Post your results here...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replaced your airbags? Post your results here...

This is my experience with successfully repairing my airbag system in my '98 Z28 after deployment. I found a lot of conflicting information on here as to what needs replaced and what needs to be done after airbag deployment. Some people say that the bags and the SDM (Sensing and Deployment Module) are the only things that need to be replaced. Others say that you additionally need someone with a Tech II to "mate" the SDM to the car. Some have also said that the clockspring has to be replaced. Then there's others who say that there's sensors in the bumper that need replaced. I'm not saying anyone is wrong. In fact, a lot of these people are correct to a certain degree. It just depends on what year car you're talking about.

Basically, my airbags deployed in my '98 Z28 and I wanted to replace them. I got a used airbag set on eBay from a '94 Camaro for $40. I removed the blown bags from my car and replaced them with the ones I bought. Of course, my airbag light was still on. I needed an SDM. I bought a used one from a '98 Camaro for $10 at a junkyard and put it in. Guess what? The airbag light went out and the system checks out fine every time I start the car now!

I think the "mating" of the SDM to a car has to do with replacing a bad one with a good one from a different year. I could be wrong though. People are saying the dealer charges around $60 to hook up their Tech II to "mate" SDM's. Alternatively, you can send your faulty SDM to a company that will fix it for $75. Can't say their name since they're not a sponsor.

If anyone else has had success with replacing their airbag systems please post here so people know what works for sure.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tech 2, no
clockwork spring, only if it is broken so in your case no

Looks like you are good to go.