General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Getting a code, maybe Cats getting clogged up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a code, maybe Cats getting clogged up?

My car is a bone stock 2001 Z-28 with 68,000 miles, last night on the way home from work my SES light came on so I scanned the computer and found this code.

Catalyst Efficiency below threshold. Left Bank

Could this be a cat clogged up? I'm installing some Long Tube headers with a catted Y-pipe anyway but don't want to screw anything up until I get time to install the new exhaust. Thanks
Old 07-26-2007, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the code trip after a while of driving or off idle?

Probably a bad cat either way. I had a driver side cat replaced for this code. Depending on mileage and age it might still be under the federal emissions warranty.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

Got the EXACT same code. Funny thing was, it appeared about 50miles after getting my car smogged. and it passed with flying colors might i add. Weird.

Originally Posted by 98-LS1
My car is a bone stock 2001 Z-28 with 68,000 miles, last night on the way home from work my SES light came on so I scanned the computer and found this code.

Catalyst Efficiency below threshold. Left Bank

Could this be a cat clogged up? I'm installing some Long Tube headers with a catted Y-pipe anyway but don't want to screw anything up until I get time to install the new exhaust. Thanks
Old 07-26-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe with your year and mileage the dealer will fix it for free. Or take this as an opportunity to swap your exhaust.

Whoops sorry didnt read the whole post.. Its fine. Just swap the exhaust and see what happens. Either get Sims for the rear O2's or get em tuned out.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's at the dealer right now getting two new cats installed. The warranty covered it thankfully but I am going to swap the exhaust anyway. I ordered a Magnaflow catback last night so now I just need the time to install my headers and to locate a nice catted Y-Pipe.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

A quick word of advice. Get some extra WB O2 bungs welded into the headers before you install them. You may need em down the road. Just make sure you'll still have room for the clamps when you get it all installed.