General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car Fell From Jack

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chavez885
Yea that just made my ribcage hurt,you're nuts
Yea it was pretty stupid... basically I just got too comfortable with being under the cars. I've been under there so many times I got past the being afraid of it and was cutting corners to speed things up I guess. It put the fear back in me though
Old 08-06-2007, 07:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ceej91
My mechanic told me that a buddy of his died when he jacked up his car with his wheel jacks while installing an exhaust...car fell on top of him when the jacks snapped or sumthin...i didnt really push for details...but yeah, I'm buying like four 4ton jackstands if i need to lift my car off the ground for an extended period of time.
You can never be to safe when working under a car, I use big blocks of wood & jacks if im going to be under the car for a while. If im just lifting the front or rear I use a tire stop.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just thank Jesus you weren't under there. A close realative of mine was killed under a car.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:05 AM
Launching!

I've swapped out the LCAs and PHB without lifting the car. No real need to lift IMO. Only issue I had was re-centering the body once the PHB was out. Either a buddy can push on the body or you can use a pry bar on one end to push the PHB bolt in.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:22 AM

I was changing the rear diff gasket on my car. The driveway had a slight tilt to it, nothing to make putting the car on jackstand unsafe, but.... I released the emergency break with the car on the jackstands so I could spin the wheel and inspect the gears. I forgot to put it back on when I lowered the car. I was behind the car lowering it, the car hit the ground and start rolling backwards over me. It was moving very slow and I was able to just stop it with my hands, but it was scary.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I have the car up and the wheels off I'll slide one or more wheels underneath the car to act as stops.

Also, when on jackstands I'll keep the jack up on a jacking point with just the barest of pressures. I'm hoping that will add a point of resistance should anything bad happen.

Every jacked up car is like a loaded gun --- It's hard to be too safe.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

When Working Under The Car For A Long Time I Always Use Ramps Better To Be Safe Than Sorry!
Old 08-09-2007, 12:33 AM
Launching!

Something else that has helped me is rotating one of the ramps to keep the car from rolling backwards when raising the rear of the car up. After driving up on the ramps put a jack under the car and raise it off the ramps, then rotate one of the ramps 180 degrees so the car can't roll back down. Lower the front of the car and now you can raise the rear without having to worry about the car rolling back off the ramps.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had my 88 Mustang GT vert fall on me from it rolling off of cinder blocks. I had forgot to set the parking brake for the 100th time that day, and I disconnected the driveshaft. It left a huge horn-bruise on my left eye, left a bruise on my chest, broke the creeper (on cement), and got a mouthful of undercoating from where my tooth scraped the body of the car, didn't hurt my tooth. The car didn't get any damage, just a dented floor pan from my head.

But yeah, my biggest fear is getting trapped with hot exhaust melting my flesh.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

brrrr scary
Old 09-25-2007, 01:59 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like your jack stands weren't locked in position and just went to the shortest setting. From the title I was expecting to see pics of your car sitting on the ground with no wheels on it. I wouldn't sweat it.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have homemade wood ramps I turn on their side and put under the frame somewhere just incase it falls. I also use the tires under the frame if I have a set off. Thats with the jackstands too.