General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Altenator HELP!!! What am I doing wrong???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Altenator HELP!!! What am I doing wrong???

Hey guys, I recently did an LT-1 (94) into my 69 Camaro. I used all of the factory wires from the donor car. When I got it all hooked up, I had no voltage at the alternator pigtail to activate it. After a while of searching and tracing wires back to fuse boxes and all with no luck in finding the problem, I simply ran a fused wire directly from a 12v source in the fuse panel to the alternator. (12v w/ key on) So far I have gone thru 4 alternators.....all of them being brand new rebuilt AC Delco. After the third one, I called the AC Delco hot line and talked with the service guys and they told me that they require a 12v source just like I had it hooked up. They told me I might be getting a run of bad alternators, but after the fourth one, I think I have something wrong.

All four of these alternators quit working after the first 10 to 15 minutes of runtime. No burn smell, nothing weird happening, it just simply quits charging.

Could someone check their voltage to the pigtail on a cold startup and then after it warms up? I'm wondering if I am just feeding too much voltage and burning up something. I just don't know where to go from here.

I know I have all the grounds hooked up and I know I don't have any arcing going on.

Any ideas?

Please, any help would be great.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 08-28-2007, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Up!!!