General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

98 z28 Idle Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 z28 Idle Problems

Hey,

My friend just picked up a 98 z28 and within the first thirty minutes of having it, it died on the highway and is running like complete crap now.

When we got it towed back to his house we started up the car and it was running and idling fine. Then the idle started acting up and dropped a couple hundred rpms and then it was finally sputtering around 200 rpms and then completely died. Now when we try to start it all it will do is sit around 200 rpms. Even if it does go up to 500 rpms and we give it gas, it bogs down and dies.

So I was just thinking of some basic things it could be:

Such as the TPS, MAF or maybe the IAC. I am going to try to clean those with him tomorrow but is there anything else i should look for?

The car also only has 47000 miles on it but sat for many years and recently got a tune up and all the fluids changed. It also just sat for the past 3 weeks.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 09-03-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You didn't mention the SES being on, reading any codes would help nail it down. If it was sitting for many years another thing I'd look at is the fuel pressure/fuel filter might be clogged or something.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:24 AM
TECH Resident

yeah def check the fuel,
Old 09-04-2007, 12:54 AM
Teching In

The time when the SES light comes on is when the car is right about to die and stumbling on its faces...I was also thinking of the fuel filter too...I just want to help him get it fixed so he can actually enjoy the car.

Thanks for you help so far guys... Also do you know if autozone will do a rental a tool program with a scanner, since we wont be able to actually bring the car there?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 09-05-2007, 12:09 AM
On The Tree

i had that same problem once, two years ago. I then got the transmission fluid changed and found metal shavings in it (wierd i know...). since then I NEVER had that problem again. my exact situation: i'm driving and the car starts to pull real heavy. then it wont drive anymore. then it starts idleing really rough and at a really low RPM. then it stalls completely. eventually after a few minutes and a few tries, it acted all normal again. only to do the same thing a month later. So i get a tuneup and the transmission fluid looked like it had **** in it. Hope that helps.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

Hi,

This is actually my car that we are working on...Now the fuel pump does not prime at all and there is no pressure in the rails at all. The car wont even start.

We ran the car for codes today and got these 3.

We got this code twice
P0108 - MAP/BARO Circuit - High Input

P0506 - Idle Control System - Low RPM - Guessing this one since the car can't start up

So what do you guys think?
Old 09-05-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the fuel pump is done.

Quick Reply: 98 z28 Idle Problems