General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help me fix the clunk over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 11:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shake your exhaust while the car is sitting still or jacked up and see if the pipes are hitting anywhere or if you can reproduct the noise. I've heard that noise on a few cars you might have to bend the hangers or go get new ones and hang it higher.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had what sounds like the same problem a couple of months back. My passenger side rear shock was shot. It looked fine but put another set of rear shocks in and bam, mine stopped completely. That's what it was for me. It sounds like your car is just about bottoming out anytime you go over a bump right. That's what mine was sounding like. Hope it helps a little
Old 10-25-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the post guys. My car has air shocks on it. I took it in and had an exhaust/brakes type guy and I lift it up to look at it. We could not reproduce the sounds, even by shaking the exhaust or shaking the car. We didn't find much except the passenger side rear sway bar end link bolt loose, so we tightened it up. However, the sounds did not go away. It keeps getting more annoying & more annoying. If I'm driving about 5 mph and slam on the brakes, you can hear it. What in the world could it be??
Old 10-27-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a clunking noise coming from the rear when going over rough roads and I went through the whole car trying to figure it out. It ended up being the hatch bouncing up and down. I adjusted the rubber bumper stops down to get more tension on the latch and the noise went away.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Qcon
I had a clunking noise coming from the rear when going over rough roads and I went through the whole car trying to figure it out. It ended up being the hatch bouncing up and down. I adjusted the rubber bumper stops down to get more tension on the latch and the noise went away.
really? that's umm... strange. I don't see how it could be my problem though. did yours sound like the catback flopping up and down??
Old 10-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Check the exhaust, especially if you have a Off Road Pipe.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the post on the turn signal & this one. I have the TSP catted y pipe & it sits LOW. but when it scrapes or hits, it sounds completely different than the clunk.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

let's say it might sound more like a "chatter....chatter" of something loose. and it might even be up around the transmission. it's really hard to tell where it's coming from since I can't reproduce the sound with the car sitting still.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey I think I got it fixed! I was trying to take the catback off today and decided to give everything else another look. the back left shock bolt was loose, I tightened it up. And the torque arm bolts were loose. I tightened them up. I drove 10 miles and I haven't heard the noise since.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

if you have a catback the clunk noise is probably the pipe hitting the upper mount for the panhard bar. mine does it all the time

Quick Reply: Help me fix the clunk over bumps