General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rattle upon accleration (and other problems)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Rattle upon accleration (and other problems)

Hey Guys,

I have a couple of problems I would like to see if yall could help me with.

1). I've had this rattling noise for a while upon startup and then when I accelerate. Its almost like engine knock, but since I've had the car (year and a half) I've put nothing but premium 93 octane gas in there. I took it to the dealership and they said I needed to clean out the throttle body and replace the fuel filter, thus charging me around $300. They said that would fix the problem but of course it didn't and its become worse. Bad cats? Any ideas?

2). My car idles crazy when the a/c is on! If I put it in park or neutral the rpm's jump up a lot and I hear that rattling noise (same as above) if my door is open. When I'm in drive it takes a lot longer for the car to shift (a4) and it goes to a higher rpm. Could this be because of my lid, or a vacuume leak? I also hear a really load whistling noise when I start the car.

3). Mar car seems to rattle a lot more on different road surfaces. It seems like there is rattling coming from around the wheels. Its almost like a clunking noise and sometimes the car starts to pull. Could this be some join problems or power steering?

Sorry for all the problems, but I would appreciate and help anyone could give me on any of these problems. Thanks so much!!
Old 09-18-2007, 01:52 PM
Teching In

My 2000 idles crazy as hell and i can not figure it out. If i turn the a/c on the motor will surge up, then down, etc. i have a few mods and thinking about getting in retuned. Good luck on yours and post any fix it results. Late
Old 09-18-2007, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Anyone else have any ideas??
Old 09-18-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Id bet money that its the 02 sensors, they are probably loose and rattling against your y pipe.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:06 PM
Launching!

sounds like something is lose...bracket or something...it has nothing to do with the engine i dont think...
Old 09-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Teching In

Ok, I will check the o2 sensors. Anyone have any other ideas, or why my car goes crazy with the A/C on? Thanks!
Old 09-21-2007, 06:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Whistling can be a vacuum leak. A rubber vacuum fitting cracked and split on my old car and it whistled pretty loudly until I got it replaced. Depending on which vacuum line it is it could cause other strange behavior.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heat shield? Just a first thought...

-And what do you mean by, RPM's go crazy when you turn on the AC? Do you mean over 1,500 RPM? The AC will make a greater load... thus making the engine work harder (ie higher RPMs & higher shift points) this is normal.

Higher rpm's means more vibrations (another clue to it might be a heat shield). Or atleast a reason to why it gets louder... meaning something metal on metal is vibrating.

- rattling more on different surfaces is because some are more rough then others... thus more vibrations. Again leading me to believe the same issue is vibrating.

sounds like 1 issue to me... just something vibrating. If you can get the car up (and with gloves) see if you cant touch around till you find whats causing it.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like pinging to me.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
-And what do you mean by, RPM's go crazy when you turn on the AC? Do you mean over 1,500 RPM? The AC will make a greater load... thus making the engine work harder (ie higher RPMs & higher shift points) this is normal.
i turn on my AC and my RPM's drop 50-100 RPM's . . . is this bad?
Old 09-27-2007, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Ive had the same problem with my AC.....your turn it on and it jumps a couple hundred rpm....ive also had it drop to 3-400 range on the same car... i took it to the dealership and they messed with the computer settings for the AC and it worked. I think a small jump for a few seconds is normal but anything that doesnt correct itself and get to the correct idle, you should prob get it checked out.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Hey Guys - I have some new updates. I took the car into the dealership to have my problems evaluated. Turns out I my radiator was leaking and my pinion seal was also leaking. They replaced my TPS Sensor and I think that fixed the deal with my A/C doing really weird things. They told me the rattle or "ping" upon acceleration was just a normal symptom of the LS1 engine. I find this hard to believe though. Would changing my plugs and wires (88k miles and I don't think they have been changed) help take this noise away? I added some octane booster and that has not seemed to help either. Oh, and they checked my cat converter and said it was not causing the rattle. Any other ideas? Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply: Rattle upon accleration (and other problems)