General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squeaking and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Question Squeaking and vibration

I have this ongoing little problem.

When I first got the car it vibrated at higher speeds and there was this pronounced metal-on-metal scratching noise from the passenger side. Well the rotors were warped and the pads were shot and the tires were worn.

OK now fast forward. I replaced all the rotors and the pads. Got new tires this weekend. Now most of the vibration is gone but it is still there a little and when I drive down the road I can hear a light "squeak squeak squeak" from the passenger side. I'm thinking the vibration and the squeaking are related since the squeaks and the vibration appear to be in sync.

Any ideas as to what it could be?
Old 09-20-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

OK little update, not a fix though. I heard another squeaking today in a parking deck, something from my driver side as well.

I did jack up the front of the car and spin the wheels, they spin pretty evenly. There is a slight rasp to them like the pads are just barely touching the surface of the rotor a little bit but I think this is normal am I correct? Couldn't spin the rears because I can't lift the whole rear end off the ground.

The front calipers look like they may have been replaced once. The rears look stock. Could it just be the rear calipers are hanging a little? What about the spring tabs in the pad bracket (not sure what it is supposed to be called), how often do those need replaced? Mine look original.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Surely someone has an idea? I don't have money to just go replacing calipers and such when I might not need to
Old 09-21-2007, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

OK well I think I found the problem, though it isn't all too great.

I went to have an alignment done and I was told there was more than that. The wheels wobbled left and right some. OK tie rods probably. Well not just the outer tie rod ends but also the lower control arm bushings are shot. Total of $500 to get it all fixed
Old 09-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to get under the car and see what is bad for yourself. If you have a bad tie rod, have somebody turn the wheel side to side while you are under the car looking, and you will see some play if they are bad. Usually they arent bad if the boot is in good shape, so that is the first thing to check. A lot of times those shops will just replace a bunch of stuff and not even look at what is wrong. Before you spend your money, get under there and look for yourself. As for the control arm bushings, that might be harder to check. Anyway, sounds more like a wheel bearing to me, which is a lot cheaper than $500. Might just need to tighten it up a bit. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well the shop that it was checked at quoted me $650, I called my mechanic and he said $500. Now if there is something that really doesn't need replaced or there is something else the problem he'll fix what actually needs fixed, he is really good about that.