General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Transmission problems: I could use some help

Old 09-26-2007, 10:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problems: I could use some help

Ok, here is what happend. I was driving my car back from college, and I realized that I was smoking out the rear end of the car. I pulled over and found out that I was dripping tansmission fluid but it wasnt leaking terribly bad it was just kind of like drip drop drip drop kinda thing. So i managed to putt putt to the house. I looked under there and it looked like it was coming out of the transmission pan. So I replaced the pan gasket, and what do ya know, it started leaking again. So I took the cover plate off the torque converter, and noticed the transmission fluid was leaking on the torque converter and being thrown around when started with the plate off. So I took it to the shop to have the tranny pulled and replace the front seal in the transmission. I went back to the shop to pick it up today and before I talked to the mechanic, I looked under the car and guess what, transmission fluid on the ground. So I had told the mechanic and he apologized and said he would have it fixed right away and call me when finished. He calls me back about the time they closed and said he should have it fixed and that he started the car and drove it for half an hour with no signs of leaking. Fantastic. But I get the car, drive it home and guess what, same frickin thing happens yet again, but this time it is just pissing out of the transmission. Leaking so bad I had to tow it.
Anyway, just wanting to get an opinion of what you guys think, or if you guys have ran into this problem with the 4l60e yourself. Sorry I know its kinda long but I am really pissed right now. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Any ideas anyone?
Old 09-27-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it still leaking out of the same place it was before? Tell that mechanic you want your money back or you'll report him to better business.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Teching In

yeah the front seal came out this time and the retainer ring that sits right on top of the front transmission seal had broken, and the seal came out about half an inch.

Search this Thread