General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

starter problem????

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 12:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter problem????

where do i start i have a 98 z28 and when i try to start the car it wont. it dosent even turnover. the headlights dim like it wants to start but nothing happens. this has happened several times and it seems to work fine for about a week but then it does it again. i replaced the starter relay but dont know what to do next. when it does decide to start the starter has no problem any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:18 AM
TECH Resident

is it an auto? as far as the park break safty thing, have you inspected your battery connections and grounds to be free of corrosion/clean. and after that I would replace you starter. another good test if it doesnt want to start then try hitting the side of the starter with a pipe or a hammer because i think the bushings get stuck sometimes. if that helps then its definently your starter.

good luck
Old 10-04-2007, 06:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

how badly do the lights dim? If they get really dim it could be your battery is just worn out.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:22 AM
Staging Lane

i finally broke down and brought her into the dealership and $425 later i have a broken transponder in the ignition cylinder. thanks for the help though