General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Start up problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Start up problem

This question is about my truck...I no longer have a camaro...

neway it is a 2000 silverado with a 5.3.

The truck runs just fine at all times beside start up...and it only has problems starting at certain times. IF I am starting it in the morning after it has sat all night or if I restart it after it has sat for less than say 10 minutes or so it will start just fine 90 percent of the time. But if I try and start the truck after it has sat between 10 minutes and say 4 to 5 hours it will be hard to start...4 to 5 seconds and sometimes takes a couple seconds after that to find idle.

Ive done tune up and fuel filter etc. So im not sure what this could be.

any suggestions?

thanks
Old 10-21-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are losing your fuel pressure. Ive replaced several pressure regulators for this problem, as well as fuel pump assemblys. Try this....pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator and see if you get any fuel out of it. If you do, the diaphram is bad inside.....replace the regulator.

If you have the tools, install a manual valve in the fuel return line, hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the rail. Turn the key on for 2 sec, then off and watch fuel pressure. It should stay steady and not drop. If it does start to drop, turn the valve on your return line. If the drop stops, the check valve is faulty in the fuel pump module. If it doesnt stop then you have an injector leaking. If the injector is leaking, unbolt the fuel rail and see which one is the culprit.

Hope this helps, but its one of 3 things more than likely causing your problem, fuel pressure regulator leaking into the vacuum line, injector leaking, or check valve in tank faulty...good luck.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

I also found online where a lot of people replaced the fuel pressure regulator. I picked one up the other day and im going to try it.

thanks for the good advice.