General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

rear differential leak = grenaded???

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear differential leak = grenaded???

I got a leak. Is that something that is salvageable?
Old 11-03-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How bad is the leak? Pinion seal leaks are common. Mine leaks a little but not enough to drip on the ground yet so not worried about it.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a problem with my diff leaking about a year ago... I noticed spots in my drive way. So I took it to the GM dealer (would never do this normally but it is still under warranty). So they said it was the pinion seal, which they replaced. I paid the $100 deductible for my warranty. Apparently they had to take it for a road test after the repair (and managed to put 40 kms on my car).

About two weeks later it was leaking again. This time they said it was because the pinion yoke was worn (doesn't make sense to me either). So they replaced the pinion shaft flange. And wanted me to pay the $100 deductible again. I argued with the manager for a few mins, and they waived the deductible.

Shortly after this, I put the car into storage for the winter... about a week after I took it out, the diff was leaking again. This time they found the real problem, which was the diff vent (a little piece of plastic on top of the diff) was plugged. So I guess pressure was building up in the diff and blowing the pinion seal. So they wanted me to pay another 100 deductible and $158 for fluid.... I gave in and paid the $158 for the fuel, but refused to pay the deductible again.

Don't know if that will help you out.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2001 WS6 SOM
I had a problem with my diff leaking about a year ago... I noticed spots in my drive way. So I took it to the GM dealer (would never do this normally but it is still under warranty). So they said it was the pinion seal, which they replaced. I paid the $100 deductible for my warranty. Apparently they had to take it for a road test after the repair (and managed to put 40 kms on my car).

About two weeks later it was leaking again. This time they said it was because the pinion yoke was worn (doesn't make sense to me either). So they replaced the pinion shaft flange. And wanted me to pay the $100 deductible again. I argued with the manager for a few mins, and they waived the deductible.

Shortly after this, I put the car into storage for the winter... about a week after I took it out, the diff was leaking again. This time they found the real problem, which was the diff vent (a little piece of plastic on top of the diff) was plugged. So I guess pressure was building up in the diff and blowing the pinion seal. So they wanted me to pay another 100 deductible and $158 for fluid.... I gave in and paid the $158 for the fuel, but refused to pay the deductible again.

Don't know if that will help you out.

$158 for fluid?? You can get all the fluid and additive you need at a parts store for $10

The pinion seal leaking is not a big deal. It is very common in the 10 bolt. If it's just seeping on the housing, I would not worry about it (just regularly check the fluid level). If it's dripping on the ground you should think about replacing it.

It takes a little finesse to install a pinion seal correctly so it doesn't leak. The housing edge should be lightly sanded to take off any nicks, as should the pinion flange with a piece of emory cloth. Any small abrasion will tear up the pinion seal and you'll be back at square one. The seal itself costs less than $5, but the labor to install it may be pricey as it is a bit time consuming to get it right.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the labor is a bitch, lining it up is a bitch, and just doing it is a bitch....just did mine because it was leaking...

but.....it still is leaking from somewhere....just not sure where now....however mine had been leaking for a while...not bad really...but enough to see a drop hangning from the housing all the time, when i took the cover off however there was no metal or any problems i could find....