General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Flashing Security-Resistor question

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 11:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing Security-Resistor question

Alright so last night my car would not start and my security light was blinking, so i did a search and found that my vats is probably out....

I measured the resistance on my key pellet and it read 1.47 on the 20k setting....so i went to radio shack and bought two resistors. One that is a 1-ohm 10 watt with a 10% tolerance, and another at .47 ohm 5 watt 10% tolerance.

Did i buy the right ones? The guy at radio shack really wasn't much help. He kept saying it would probably work if they were mounted in parallel, but he's never done resistors in parallel so it may not work...i think he was pissed i interupted him watching star wars...

I bought them before work otherwise i would just try them, but i have to wait till im off to try and i rather know before i drive out to where my car got stranded.

any insight would be much appreciated!!
Old 11-12-2007, 12:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anybody?
Old 11-12-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

those are totally the wrong ones.. sorry.

if it read 1.47 on the 20K setting, that means it was 1.47K. You need a 1Kohm resistor and a 470ohm resistor, and then wire them in SERIES, not parallel, to get 1.47Kohm. Also, get the lowest % tolerance that you can.