General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

#8 Backing Out

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #8 Backing Out

My #8 spark plug seems to like to back out for some reason. I tighten it down, then about 6K miles later, I start to hear a tick coming from around that area. If I don't retighten it, it will back itself all the way out. I know why I'm hearing the tick, but has anyone else had a problem with a spark plug backing out repeatedly? I even tighen it a little more than any of the other plugs and more than any other plug I've replaced.

Anyone else have this happen and have an idea how to fix it? I'm getting better at replacing the #8 plug than I ever wanted to be.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Bad threads on the plug? Try a different one.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

That's what I thought...this is the second different plug that's doing it. Anyone have any ideas other than screwed up threading in the head?
Old 11-15-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Might try a couple drops of Lock tite on the plugs threads(hint... use sparingly).
Old 11-15-2007, 02:27 PM
Launching!

loctite should keep it in there....but you should consider looking at the thread in the head.....
Old 11-15-2007, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

While posts were being made, I looked at the thread in the head because I tried to get home and just about left work when the plug finished coming out. Basically, the extra power I just got out of my engine from the tune I just put on it, was the straw that broke the camel's back. The threads are completely stripped. I can push the plug all the way in and pull it back out without any effort. I had the problem of the plug doing this since I bought the car and was very careful in getting it seated tightly without overtightening because I wanted to make sure it was in properly. Someone who worked on it previously must have cranked down on it a lot extra. I guess I'm going to start a new thread on whether it makes more sense to pay someone to fix that head or if it makes more sense to get a new set of better heads and do them myself, or if I should just get a head/cam package.