General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Spark around the number one plug

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spark around the number one plug

I'm having a miss and noticed the number one spark plug is sparking around the threads. The spark is not coming from the wire but seems to be coming from the threads (down the hole) of the plug. I tried a new plug and wire and swapping wires and plugs that are not having the problem from other cylinders. Just cylinder #1 (driver front) is having the problem. What would cause the spark to come out of the threads instead of grounding to the head?
Old 11-26-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Happened to me. MSD sent me a free wire and replaced the spark plug. Problem solved. My plug was fouled like a mother because of the arc.. Is there anti-seize around the thread? Be sure to have di-electric grease around the plug boot and distributor boot.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

same but with #1 and #3 it was actually a cracked spark plug couldnt even see the crack untill i wiped some grease on it, they were brand new plugs new dropped by me anyways there is no way it would be able to get out of the threads if tightened whats the gap at?
Old 11-26-2007, 09:21 PM
Teching In

I started at 60 and then 35. I tried a new plug and rearanged with other plugs and wires. Still only does it only with number one cylinder. I pulled out tr6s and put in rapidfire 12s. If a fuel injector completely stops would it cause too much resistance to arc to the strap? It does seem to get worse as the car gets driven. I'm going to see about swapping a couple coils just cause I'm out of ideas. After that I guess I'll have to take it to a shop, unless someone comes up with another idea.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

well i know if your ign system is already weak or on its way out a big plug gap could finish it off, in my lt1 i run @.035 and you are putting di-electric grease in the boots?
post back up when you swap your coil
Old 12-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Teching In

I swapped the wires and plug under warranty, and think the arcing has stopped. But it still will run like it has a miss. Whenever I'm home with the tools, it runs great. When I can't stop to look at the car, it runs like crap. I tried swapping my old o2s back in and same thing. I did pick up a 1.5 mpg with the new o2s so I put them back. So now I'm back to maf or injector? Still no ses light or even codes.