General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Alternator/charging problems

Old 12-01-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator/charging problems

My factory alternator was making funny noises so i replaced it with a GM one last weekend. It was charging fine, it was just the noises that were the problem.

Well the new one worked fine for about three or four days. I went to start the car and the voltmeter burried itself and the abs inop light came on (no idea why). Well i shut the car down and restarted it. The abs light went off and hasnt come on since, but now the volt meter will not go above 12v. All of the connections on the alternator are good, but im a little concerned about the battery end of the alternator connection. What puzzles me is why the voltage just sky rocketed on the one start, and why it wont go up now. Bad alternator is what im thinkin. Any ideas?
Old 12-01-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

I am thinking bad alternator. I think the diodes are cooked. The alternator just fried and now it is running off the battery is what I think. As far as the ABS, I really don't know. Hopefully it did not fry anything during the voltage spike.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

Its got a 1 year warranty so looks like ill be swappin it out...again. Its really a PITA as far as swappin an alternator goes.

BTW, the car starts fine everytime, and the only effect ive noticed is the headlights are a little dim.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by StripedZebra
the headlights are a little dim.

That's not too good.

Try using a volt meter right on the battery. Also get the alternator tested at like VatoZone or something, se what it put's out.

Search this Thread