General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help with Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with Misfire

My camaro was driving fine before I changed all my plugs and when I took a test drive the car bogs and #7 cyl is showing misfire on my EFILive. I thought it might be the wires and/or coil so I swap both coil and wire with #1 and went for another test drive and #7 still shows misfire. Is there anything I've missed? Could it be the injectors? or a faulty plug??? anyone experience this before? Any help would be greatly appricated. Thanks!

oh i'm using NGK TR55 for plugs
Old 12-09-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

swap the plug with another cylinder. If it says misfire in that other cylinder then you know it's a bad plug.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Yeah. I'll go buy another plug tomorrow. Does bad plug happen often? I never heard of a bad new plug before. Weird. I'll post the result of my findings tomorrow. Thanks for your response.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not too often but I've heard of it before. All it takes is a small imperfection in the ceramic and it can make it short to the block. Could even be from installation error if you smacked it against something or overtightened it by accident.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

alright.. it's the update...

I went to Kragen and bought another (1) NGK TR55 and replaced it. The car purrs smooth and seem like everything runs perfectly. No hessitation or anything. I just have to double check everything with my EFI Live. I'm so pissed that one "NEW" spark plug was faulty. Anyone know how to check the sparkplug before installing to make sure it's good. Cant trust new sparkplugs anymore. I'm sure it's not installation error because #7 is by no means hard to get to and I can do that one spark plug in 5 mins... anyways thanks SPARKY for the suggestion... You guessed the problem on the first try.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Unless you can visibly see a crack there is no way to check it ahead of time. Here later with the quality control issues we have been seeing at our shop it is not uncommon to have a brand new part be a piece of crap.