General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird Squeek noise, need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007 | 07:54 AM
TECH Resident

Default Weird Squeek noise, need help

Ok guys I took my car to the shop this weekend, it was not a performance shop so thats why im kinda iffy on their answer to my problem. Well at an idle my car makes a weird squeek sound that i can't really explain, but while driving it goes away and also this does not happen all the time. The sound is coming from the underneath of my car down by the starter. By the way i have a 1994 Z28 LT1. The guy at the shop told me he thinks it my motor going out. The car has been taken very well care of and oil changes done right about on time maybe a few times i was a little late. the car has 94,000 on it right now and it runs perfect other than a big need for a tune up right now which im going to try and get done soon due to money issues. Please fill me in if you think you have any info on my problem
Old 01-01-2008 | 09:06 PM
Teching In

Before you get too concerned and accept the advice of the shop - have you checked the belts and the pulleys? Can you try to describe the squeak? Is it metallic, a chirp sound? Other than the standard belt chirp and dry/deteriorated pulley bearing squeal, all I can think is harmonic balancer may be failing.

If the balancer is starting to fail you will also encounter vibration when driving, high polished and worn areas on the pulley grooves as well as accelerated pulley and belt failure and a couple other drivability issues.

If you have not done so already, try the belts, replacement or repair of pulleys and then start to work backwards toward the crankshaft.

Good luck - there are other items it can be, but start small. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
Old 01-02-2008 | 09:11 AM
TECH Resident

The squeek is hard to explain other then a random weird squeek, as for what you said about the vibration while driving the only time I have that is at freeway speeds around 70mph and up, Im gonna take it to a friends shop very soon to have everything checked out as for the belts and pulleys hopefully its nothing big thanks for the info I wish I could explain the sound better maybe i can try and get a video of it uploaded.