General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Radiator Drain Plug Stuck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Drain Plug Stuck?

I was attempting to change my coolant in my 98 Formula right now and attempted to remove the drain plug by hand on the passenger side of the radiator and it would not move any. I then put vice grips to it and one of the tabs broke off , I read to turn the plug counter clockwise which I am doing. Laying under front bumper looking up at the drain plug, turning it to the left. Any ideas what I should try. I have one tab left now. Any way to just drill it off an just replace it?
Old 01-13-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think I may have been turning it the wrong way.

So if standing over the motor looking down at the plug, it would be turning it to the left. Im going to go try it again.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine was tightened WAY too much from the previous owner, and i broke all the tabs off. the local NAPA store had no problem ordering me a new one. they're cheap. use the pliers that are second from the top , with using the lower teeth, and you'll have no problem getting it off. with this tool, just forget about the tabs and grab the base of the plug to turn it, then replace it and don't tighten it too much for next time.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Righty tighty lefty loosey from any position. Sometimes they're just brittle and the tabs break off.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

mine was tightened WAY too much from the previous owner, and i broke all the tabs off. the local NAPA store had no problem ordering me a new one. they're cheap. use the pliers that are second from the top , with using the lower teeth, and you'll have no problem getting it off. with this tool, just forget about the tabs and grab the base of the plug to turn it, then replace it and don't tighten it too much for next time.

exactly what i did. i broke off both tabs and just used the pliers and twisted at the base. but its not easy. i tried for like five minutes and then worked on something else for 10 minutes and tried again. it took me a few tries, but u gotta squeeze the **** out of it and you have to grab it at just the right spot. you'll get it, just be patient. good luck.

Quick Reply: Radiator Drain Plug Stuck?