General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Anyone successfully repaired a tilt steering column?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 04:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone successfully repaired a tilt steering column?

A few weeks ago I was putting the car on a trailer and my fat *** pulled to hard on the steering wheel. I broke the tilt mechanism to where if you tug on the wheel it will end up in your lap. I have done a search and didn't come up with much except go get a Haynes manual. It sounds like I have to take the whole column apart to get to the tilt mechanism. I have done all the work on my car to date but have never messed with the steering wheel. Should I buy a used column and replace it or try to fix it. Does GM sell the parts I need to fix the tilt. Any help would be appreciated.

Josh
Old 01-14-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine and my friends third gen many years ago. GM does sell the replacement parts. Hell, if the wheel is the same, I might even have a lot of those parts.

I didn't have a manual to go by. I just took it apart and laid everything down in order, as I took it off.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. What kind of steering wheel puller did you use? Will a generic one work? Should I worry about removing the airbag? I may send you a PM when I found out what is broke in the column.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the 3rd gen their were no airbags to worry about and yes I did use a regular puller. I think a Haynes/Chilton manual would should how to remove the airbag module.

Quick Reply: Anyone successfully repaired a tilt steering column?