General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Injector Cleaning/Sea Foam

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector Cleaning/Sea Foam

is seafoam really the best way to clean my injectors? Everyone around here seems to sing its praises but i was just wondering if anyone had had any bad experiences. Also, it shouldnt take more than 45 minutes to put seafoam in all three places right? (not counting the time itll take for the oil change after 100 miles) thanks for any info on this
Old 01-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Banned

nobody has any opinions on it?
Old 01-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

I will give you my opinion. Seafoam is a miracle in a can, second only to WD-40. I use it in a my vehicles. I pour two cans in a tank just before filling it up. I then only fill my tank half way. Once engine is warmed up to normal operating temp, I sip up a can through the brake booster vacuum line and then a can through the pcv valve vacuum line. Let her sit for about 20-30 minutes and then crank her up and enjoy the show as your neighbors come pouring out of their homes to see what is causing all of the smoke. Take the car out for a good run once it stops sputtering and the smoke stops. Change the oil afterward.

I perform this about once a year or every third oil change. I credit SF for keeping my high mileage truck running like new after 7 years and 159K. Fuel economy is unchanged since new.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Read the sticky on seafoam. 75% of people like it, the other 25% say it broke there car. In my personal opinion, I'd only do the gas tank step and oil step, and skip the vac booster line thing unless you work on cars professionally.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Banned

well whats the difference cleaning wise between just gas/oil and all three?
Old 01-16-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Putting it in the gas tank cleans your injectors. Putting it in the crankcase cleans your bottom end parts. Putting it in through the brake booster line or other vacuum line cleans your intake manifold. On that last step, be sure to follow the directions in the sticky very closely, and be careful not to use too much, I think this is where some people have run into problems. I did it to my car and it worked nice, belched out a lot of smoke. Car ran fine before so no major difference for me.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:37 PM
Banned

lol thanks man, it was mainly the brakebooster part that was making me nervous....so I better be careful!
Old 01-16-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

The point of sucking it through the brake booster line (vacuum) is to clean the combustion chamber primarily, and it does a damn good job of it, i love seafoam.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Somebody should pour some seafoam in their engine right before they take it apart just to see if it really cleans it or not. I had much success with it thus far in my daily driver grand am. I only travel 1 mile to work and that really plays havoc on engines. I usually put some in right before oil change and and it seems to get better throttle response after the treatment.