General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ignition switch broke, need help 94 T/A

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition switch broke, need help 94 T/A

my car has been having problem after problem. Anyway im on the verge of getting a newer car since im stuck kinda often with this one. For about a month now when you go to put the key in and turn it, it does not always want to go. sometimes wiggling the steering wheel will help. sometimes its just a fight to get it to do anything. Sometimes if it does turn the car will stall right away unless i give it some gas. Feels like is not turning all the way. So the other night i worked 11 hours get in the car and boom, it wont budge. I took a break for a few minutes tried again, then again and again. Nothing would work. After about 30 minutes of frustration it turned under sheer force, but now it will only power the radio or air. i get no attempt at cranking. It feels wrong when you turn it, like its sliding over something inside. Barring yanking the steering column out, is there a cheap or easy fix for this? I had 2 cars that you did not need the key anymore to start after something inside busted on its own. I was hoping i could do something similiar.

I have a friend thats a locksmith that has fixed some similiar problems but hes busy until the weekend. And since this is my only ride im walking or getting a friend to take me to work.

its a 94 trans am, automatic if that matters.

thanks in advance to anyone with a idea or two. sorry for the long post as well i felt i had to explain it correctly. and point out most of its my fault.