General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Banging/Clunking/Squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Banging/Clunking/Squeaking

Well i've searched all over the place, and i can't find a thread that someone is describing a bang/clunk/squeak similiar to the one i am. It's coming from the back, at first i thought it was the exhaust hitting the bumper, but i pushed that back and it still does it. I adjusted those 2 rubber things on the bottom of the hatch, still does it. I can't get it to make the sound just by pushing up and down on the hatch while stopped, just does it when i hit a big bump. It just sounds like something is going up and down or is banging up against something. Spare tire and jack are both removed..

Also, i noticed that every time i hit a bump i notice the front/back (something with the suspension) makes this squeaking sound, like the sound of jumping on a trampoline....maybe it's just time to ditch the stock suspension (but then i really can't, saving up for college) ? I almost feel embarrassed to ride with anyone in my car with all the rattles.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds to me like your lower control arm bushings are worn out.
They did the same thing your describing in my Z28, I just replaced them with some local parts store bushings. They are only like $10 a piece, plus they are solid rubber unlike the stockers that have quite a bit more give. Made a world of difference, no more bumps and squeaks, and got rid of some tire hop problems I was having as well.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

okay, well i really have no idea what that is...got a link to a tutorial or explanation of installation..?

is there a way to tell if this could be it by looking at the bushing on there now? describe the sound in your own words, it's hard for me to describe but maybe if i heard someone else say it i could agree to it

Last edited by slikrider20; 02-11-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my formula did that except it was from the exhaust hitting the axle. the squeaking noise is the rear sway bar bushings. if you look under your car from the back there is a bar thats nearly touching the rear end gear cover and goes parallel to the rear end, well your bushings need to be greased or replaced. oil and wd 40 would just make the squeak worse so get some grease
Old 02-12-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Check all the bushings on your rear suspension. Sounds like thats the problem.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Okay i know what bar you are talking about, i'll have to look at that. As far as the banging sound it has to be the exhaust, it seems pretty loose back there but i can't get it to make the sound just by moving it up and down...Ill have to look at it this and let you guys know. It's really annoying.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah the bushings probably need replaced but thats not even really my biggest concern. It's that same banging sound thats annoying me, i can't get it to do anything by pushing up and down on the car, the exhaust isn't hitting anything......wtf!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

could possibly be the rear springs. but i really think its the bushings. i am going through the same diagnosis with my car. i think im going to do the bushings on my lca's first. and go from there.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Prob the exhaust. Mine does it every once in a while. There not much clearance and when you go over a bump or something and joggle the car the exhaust can hit the axle.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought a new 96 Z I had a problem with the rear springs making a clunking noise. while going over a bump. The dealership said they were not positioned right from the factory.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I replaced my lower control arms and now I have noise everytime I go in reverse and over a bump. I was to make a gasket to go inbetween the LCA and the frame to stop the noise. The stock never made the noise the because of the rubber bushing. Or so I am told.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

I think i found the sound. I don't know what it's called, but there is a black bar thing that runs parallel to the axle and the exhaust goes just over it (maybe 1/4") and when you pull up and down on the exhaust it hits that and makes a sound similiar to the one i'm hearing. I couldn't figure out a way to get the exhaust to not move so much, there is nothing to hook it on to. It won't hit it if you move the exhaust up and down towards the back of the car, you actually have to pull up and down on the other side of the axle where it curves down into the resonator to see how much play it has. ...... Would love to figure out how to get this damn exhaust to sit still....anyone have an idea?

Quick Reply: Banging/Clunking/Squeaking