General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help with codes and weird cats

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with codes and weird cats

I bought my car used from a dealership, they bought the car from an auction and had no information about the previous owner.
A week after I had my car it rained and I got a 6 check engine codes all having to do with cat failure and o2 failure. I was really worried until it suddenly went away a week later after it had dried up.
This week it rained again and the same thing happened.
So I went to look under my car and figure out what was going on, I thought at first that I might have some faulty o2 sims on there since the previous owner had some exhaust work done and that maybe the rain was causing them to short out or something. My previous 99 ws6 had o2 sims and would to this everytime it rained but never did it with just o2 sensors.
So.. I tried to figure out what was going on today and I stuck my camera underneath the car to get some pictures. I found a smaller diameter pipe welded on to my Y... and I looked up to see some weird looking catayltic converter. I'm wondering why someone would weld cats on to the pipe since they are bolt ons, wouldn't it be easier to unbolt them? lol I'm wondering if this mystery cat has something to do with the codes.
Does anyone know what brand this is?
I'm not sure where to go from here.
Attached Thumbnails Help with codes and weird cats-bling-134.jpg   Help with codes and weird cats-bling-062.jpg  
Old 02-17-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

use it as an excuse to get a full exhaust setup done?
Old 02-17-2008, 03:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for sure.. gonna get that done asap
Old 02-17-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

problem solved then