General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Windshield Wiper Woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Wiper Woes

So living in San Diego I barely have a chance to use my windshield wipers, which means the sun beats on them all year and when I turn them on they tend to implode and I have to rush to buy new ones. Well this year they really decided to kick my *** and somehow crossed over one another like some kind of grappling match. Anyway I replaced the blades and they worked fine for about 10 minutes but I think the right side arm has been stripped out. It no longer functions on any level whatsoever. When I turn my wipers on I just see it over there twitching like it wants to move, no grinding sound or anything. When disengaged I noticed my drivers side wiper does not move at all when I apply light pressure to try and slide it, however the passenger side (the F-ed one) slides freely.

Now I'm not sure if I need to replace the arm itself or the mechanism beneath it. In fact aside from replacing the wiper arms themselves I am completely clueless as to anything involving wipers. All I know is it doesn't look easy to get to. Any ideas on what I need, how much it will likely cost, or any links to any instructions anyone can provide would be most helpful. I'd like to do this myself rather then pay an unknown but assuredly very inflated amount to get this fixed. Thanks for any help.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Pull the arms off and check for thread strippage first, my driver one stripped and I JB welded that bitch in there, no problems since. If it moves freely when the switch if off then it is either stripped or it split from the linkage.

The system works via the motor and a linkage bar for each wiper arm, all under the plastic cowl piece at the bottom edge of the windshield which is easy to get off.

Attached is a half *** diagram of the wiper system.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
wipers.bmp (160.7 KB, 128 views)
Old 02-21-2008, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL at the half assed picture.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

that picture is awesome LOL. My wipers on my 94 are doing something different. When I turn them on they raise up and do their motion however when I shut them off they come down and go straight to off position. Not resting then lower down. Just Boom Down. Even if I set delay they wont go to the ready position just hit at the complete down position then come back up for a sweep. Any thoughts on this?It happens ever 3 to four wipes and all I hear is the slamming sound.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bump! for my issue. I think it might be the switch on the column