General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

valve cover removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve cover removal

Im going to be removing my valve covers next weekend to paint them. When they are off im assuming 2 days max should I cover the exposed area with anything? And while they are off is there anything I can look at or inspect I guess while their off? And when the covers are ready to go back on should I change my oil? I think that about wraps up my questions in case your wondering ive never done this before but I dont see me havin problems with this just had a few questions.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

when i had mine off i covered them with some type of cloth. and the reason i took them off was to see if i had any bent pushrods, and i didnt. but if you dont have any valvetrain noise then i probably wouldnt worry about it. i painted them gloss black while they were off. there is a good right up on installuniversity.com that tells you all about painting valve covers. not sure if thats what your using or not. and about the oil. if its time to change it, then change it. good luck man. heres a couple of pics of mine. these pics are with 1 or 2 coats on.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im really only painting them because im replacing the passenger side cover, some how or another it cracked around the oil fill neck. So I figured id go ahead and take the other one off while im at it and paint them. I got the guide from IU and it looks easy, but I just changed my oil a few weeks ago and dont want to change it already. On the other hand I dont wanna keep riding with a craked valve cover.